Saturday, April 27, 2024

Day 2 To Zubiri in the SNOW!—4/23/24

After a chilly night in the basement, I got up to leave and I saw that it was snowing outside, so I decided I’d better buy a poncho from the folks here in Roncesvalles.


That was a good decision since it was windy and snowy all morning as we made our way to the second stage city of Zubiri, some 22 km away and the 2nd of 33 stages of this journey.  The total ascent was just 250 m.  This was an easy day compared to the previous day despite the snow.







It was better to have snow since we didn’t get wet as we headed our way along the Camino to Zubiri.  


After walking through the snow for a bit, we came to this café that was in a the Erro village  called Café San Juan. I went inside and had a delicious potato frittata along with OJ and coffee con Leche.  The best part was warming up inside while eating and later enjoying the bathroom.





In this area, the trail was away from the road. Today over 80% of the trail was away from the roads which made for some enjoyable hiking in the snow.


The snow had dropped off as we came into Zubiri which was at a lower elevation at 500 m compared to 960 m at Roncesvalles.




I stayed at the municipal Aubergue called Antigua Escuela and cost €14 which included a much-needed blanket.  



They did not serve a pilgrim dinner here so we went to a nearby café Camino, where I met MK from Boston, Jenny from London, and Siggy from Austria, and a couple from Japan who were at the end of the table.  I would see several of these people during my travels.








No comments:

Post a Comment