Monday, November 7, 2022

Soggy Salto, Uruguay—10/29–11/1, 2022

 Do you ever have the experience of setting an early alarm only to wake up on your own before it goes off? That just happened when I took the early Nunez bus from Montevideo to Salto at 6:30 am.  


The scenery on the 7-hour bus ride was mostly through rolling gentle, green hills with several herds of cows.  I would occasionally see some gauchos riding herd wearing high boots and jaunty caps.  The towns are few and far between.  I was lucky to get the front second-level seat with great views.





It looked like some of the ranchers are making extra income by hosting big windmill farms and solar panel arrays.


When I got to the Salto bus station I began my mile-and-a-half walk to the Home Sweet Home Hotel where I would stay for two nights. Unfortunately, the hotel had put a different address on their location since they had two places they were renting out.


After walking around a couple blocks around the plaza where I thought it was located, I asked some women in a clothing store for help and they told me that it should just be a half a block from where we were. I looked on the booking.com website and they had a picture of a wrought iron railing which I saw. 



I walked toward it and a fellow started calling me “Richard, Richard”.  I looked up and realized that’s where I would be staying. It was actually a private residence with no advertised sign showing that it was the Home Sweet  Home hotel.  

It turned out that the owner, Guillermo, and his buddy were in the process of repainting and re-renovating the place. My room was very spacious and had some very odd TV equipment with three different remotes so I didn’t bother with them.

Salto is famous for its thermal baths, and I was planning to visit them the following day. However, shortly after I arrived, I was greeted with thunder and lightning storms which made it a wet walk to dinner.



In the morning, it was still raining hard along with thunder and lightning so it was unlikely that I could go to the thermal baths and spas and be safe. Fortunately, they had a large living room with a balcony overlooking the street below, so I was able to just relax for the day.



When I went out for breakfast, I bought an umbrella to reduce the amount of rain that was collecting on me. And it was useful when I went out for dinner that night when it was still raining.



After staying there for the night, I woke up to no more rain so it must’ve been because I bought the umbrella it stopped raining.



When I got to the Salto bus station I caught an early bus to the border and went through immigration fairly rapidly from Uruguay to Concordia, Argentina.



Since I didn’t know how long the border crossing would take, I didn’t make any reservations for onward bus travel but when I got to the Concordia bus station, I learned that there were no buses north to Posada until 8:10 PM and that same bus was continuing on to Puerto Iguazu.


I had planned to stay overnight at Posada, but since the same bus was heading onto Puerto Iguazu I decided to continue my journey there.


I spent the day walking about 10 miles around the large park that fronted the river and also having a few meals before boarding the bus.  This castle was started, but never completed.




My Cruces Del Norte bus was supposed to leave at 8:10 but we did not leave until 9 PM and we would arrive at about 10 AM in the morning in Puerto Iguazu—some thirteen hours on the bus. 


It was a fairly comfortable ride over a pretty even highway however my middle-aged seatmate was on FaceTime on speakerphone for about an hour with his girlfriend and it really sounded sad as he hung up and cried a bit— what a way to break up so publicly and I barely understand Spanish.


When I woke early morning as the sun was beginning to come up the territory was changing to hills in jungles as we approached Puerto Iguazu.


Subscribe to my YouTube Channel

I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads.  I have also added other travel videos that are shorter.  

That link is https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

1 comment: