Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Sailing and Sleeping on the Felucca down the Nile--10/7--8/2023

Shortly after we returned from our drive from Abu Simbel temples and enjoyed an afternoon of free time.


The following morning, we boarded our felucca sailboat in Aswan and sailed down the Nile until darkness, and the winds died down. 




During the entire afternoon, we were sailing into a moderate breeze which cooled us off from the high temperatures—they were hovering around 107°.  Since we were sailing into the wind, our felucca tacked back and forth from shore down the Nile toward Luxor.  Along the way, we saw other boats and feluccas plying the waterways as well as people along the shorelines.









Along the way, our Nubian crew provided us with great lunches and dinners, and in the morning breakfast.




At nightfall, it became quite calm and quiet, and we were able to see the stars above. Especially those who decided to sleep on the deck above the cabin.  The cushions and blankets were enough for me to get a good night's sleep as the boat gently rocked on the Nile.



We then tied up the boat to the wooded shoreline for the night.  The felucca has a large single sail and no power so our movement depended on the wind and currents to sail towards Luxor.



In the morning, our felucca went a short distance across the Nile to our minibus that was waiting to complete the journey to Luxor where we would enjoy a shower before heading out to tour the temples in the area.





Subscribe to my YouTube Channel

I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads.  I have also added other shorter travel videos.  

That link is https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment