Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Crete from Iraklio to Rethimno—June 9-12, 2021

The port bus from Fira, Santorini left at 2:15 pm and my Power Jet Catamaran was to leave at 4 PM, but it ended up being an hour late.  I passed the time by jumping from one cafe to another while waiting for the ferry boat.




Once it arrived we had a rocky passage to Crete.  Once I got to Iraklio port, I emailed the hostel in Plakias and they told me that the bus to my place had stopped running for the day.


I ended up canceling the hostel and started walking to the Lonely Planet recommended hostel, So Young Hostel.  Along the way, I met up with Esteban from Austin, TX, and Maria from the Mexico City area who was my bunk mate at the Fira Backpacker Place in Santorini, who had reservations there.  Using Google Maps and Map. me, we found the hostel.  They checked in and the place was full, but one person was a no show so I was able to check-in.  Shower, food, and sleep were the ticket.


The following day I visited the Iraklio Archaeological Museum followed by a bus ride to the Palace of Knossos.  This visit showed me how the Minoans had dominated southern Europe more than 4,000 years ago.








The Palace of Knossos was an amazing walk through a civilization that flourished 4,000 years ago.  The archaeologist, Sir Arthur Evans from 1900 to 1930 recreated some of the frescos and pillars which were met with mixed reviews as he supervised the restoration.












It just makes me wonder what our American civilization will be considered 4,000 years from now and if the Trump era marks the beginning of our decline.


Coming up from the port where our ferry boats landed, I came to all of the walking streets of Iraklio where the high-end shops were along with many open-air restaurants and bars.







The following day, I took a morning bus to Rethimno which featured a huge fortress built in the 15th century and topped with a mosque.  In 1647 this fort was overrun by the Turks and that was when the mosque was built.










After visiting the fort, I headed down to the old village to the Loggia area which comprised of narrow walkways filled with flowers, shops, and restaurants before returning to Iraklio.







After returning to Iraklio, I went to the walking street area with all of the shops and outdoor restaurants and had chicken dinner near the Morosini Fountain.




I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my Peru Adventures there as well as my other travel videos.  That link is https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.







No comments:

Post a Comment