Friday, July 2, 2021

Slacking in Syros—June 27–30, 2021

Syros was my first Greek Island I visited.  I took the big Blue Star ferry from Athens to Syros.  It was a comfortable 3 1/2 hour ride.  These ferries are amazing on how much vehicle traffic and passenger traffic they hold.  When it arrives at the harbor, it does a U turn and quickly backs into the wharf where cars and people dislodge.  



The town of Ermoupoli has streets and walkway stairs that take you to the top where the Chuurch Ano Syros looks down upon the white washed town.  I explored the harbor filled with Cayman Island laundered money or drug money super yachts.  The show of wealth in these big boats is astounding how their wealth is flaunted.  Some of the bigger boats are owned by Russian Oligarchs. 








View from the church.


City Hall



I took the hourly bus to Galissas where I found a beautiful shallow sandy beach area filled with sun beds and umbrellas and few people.







I stay here for three days at the Peter and Tony Guesthouse in a single room with A/C and hot shower and balcony .  Tony greeted me and introduced me to his wife, Christiana, who was Vancouver, BC.  They also had  elementary age boy and girl that hung out a lot at the bistro and shop below the rooms.


I enjoyed my three days of relaxation before reboarding the bus back to Ermoupoli and enjoyed the stops along the way to the other beaches on this fairly desolate rock filled island.  


Here’s some other beaches I saw from the bus back to the Star Ferry.







Just like clockwork the Blue Star Ferry came into port and did its about-face to disgorge the vehicles and people before we boarded to ferry to Mykonos for the 40-minute journey. 


I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my Peru Adventures there as well as my other travel videos.  That link is https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold  If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

2 comments:

  1. Sooo, what goes through your mind when on the beach? “I’m a lucky guy?” “Tani would love this?” Silence! “Do I have WiFi here?” “What fish should I have for lunch?” “Do they have beverage service.?” “My, I’ve got to get to my blog.”

    ReplyDelete