Friday, June 5, 2020

Section J-Snoqualmie to Stevens Pass-2002 PCT hike

I was eager to resume my Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) hike from Mexico to Canada at Snoqualmie Pass where I ended my last year's hike.

From the trailhead at Snoqualmie Pass summit, I began my Section hike and soon encountered patches of snow that covered the trail.  As I made my way up through the patches of snow, I kept losing the trail and slipping in the snow, sometimes post-holing in the deep snow.  This was not what I expected.  I did not have crampons and as I continued up to the Kendall Katwalk, I continued to slip and slide my way up to where I thought the trail was.



Here is a view down the Commonwealth Creek Basin.


Suddenly, I slipped and slid about 1,000 feet down a gully filled with snow.  As a slid down I hit sharp rocks and lost my glasses during the fall.  Bruised but alive, I decided that I should return home.

I made my way back up to where I was hiking and found a sleeping area lodged in some mountain hemlock so I would not accidentally slip back down the mountain slope.  It was uncomfortable but safe.

In the early morning, I retreated to the Snoqualmie Pass and got a ride home from my wife.

It was way too early to start my journey so I headed back home without going more than 2 miles up the trail.

This was the end of my 2002 Section hike.

In August, I returned for a day trip up to the Kendall Kat Walk and Gravel and Alaska Lake where I met up with a thru-hiker who was drying out his gear. He gave me some more tips on how to travel with lightweight gear.




Ridge Lake is in the background and is located just north of the Kendall Kat Walk.  


I am looking forward to my 2003 Section hike with more information on traveling light.

I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my travel adventures there.  That link is

 https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold.  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment