Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Green Tunnel, OR Trek then Burned Out---August--September 2006

Section B to F Ashland to McKenzie Highway—August-September 2006

On August 23, 2006, I returned to Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) at the intersection of I-5 and Highway 20. It has been about a year since my PCT quest to complete the Oregon section of the PCT ended with a sprained ankle.  I began this year’s quest by flying from Seattle to Medford, OR, followed by a night at the Best West Hotel in Ashland.  

On August 24, 2006, the hotel shuttle took me to the PCT trailhead some 10 miles south to the Highway 20 exit. I then walked under I-5 to connect with the PCT with Pilot Rock appearing in the distance. I found myself walking by several dirt roads and seeing several herds of cows and cowbells in this section of the PCT as I came up to Pilot Rock and continued on crossing one cow gate after another.



I ended the day at the Little Hyatt Reservoir campsite which even featured a toilet.  I hiked for about 9 1/2 hours and covered 22 miles with ascents of 3,440 ft and descents of 3,120 ft.

On August 25, 2006, I spent the day crossing logging roads and clear cuts including those surrounding Old Baldy with views to the south of Mt. Shasta. After hiking through private and Bureau of Land Management territory I finally entered the Rogue River National Forest with many to follow.


Just 200 yards off the PCT, I ended up the day at this 12’ square Brown Shelter cabin with nearby water well.  It was an 11-hour day of hiking and covered 22 miles with ascents of 2,640 ft and descents of 2,410 ft.

On August 26, 2006, I made my way past the west side of Brown Mountain through some basalt lava flows along the way until I got to Highway 140 near Fish Lake where I stayed for the night.  I only hiked 10 miles in 12 hours with ascents of 1,784 ft and descents of 1,803 ft.


It was like a hiker convention at the Fish Lake Resort with a bunch of thru-hikers, eating, showering, laundering, and eating again. Most had started mid-April from the south end of the PCT at Campo, CA, and had traveled some 1,776 trail miles to get here.  I too, ate, showered, laundered, and ate again.  Their trail names were On&On, Amoloyd, Lord Humongous, Last Cookie, and Lonesome Dave.


Section C. Fish Lake to North Boundary of Crater Lake National Park-Highway 138

On August 27, 2006, I began hiking through an area with many small lakes teeming with voracious mosquitos and hovering gnats.  I could not walk fast enough to keep them from attacking me. This was the first time I had to wear my mosquito headgear while hiking.  Before I put on the mosquito net, the gnats would just hover in front of my face, land on my glasses, or I would inhale them—Disgusting.  

Mt. McLaughlin was looming over the trail on the left and as I continued north, it would be a constant landmark as I made my way to the junction of the PCT and the Sky Lakes Trail.  I took the Sky Lakes Trail so I could enjoy the many lakes and ponds found along this 6-mile trail.


I ended my day at a campsite near a small pond and creek just before the Seven Lakes Trail junction. It was a 12-hour hike covering 26 miles with ascents of 2,550 ft. and descents of 2,103 ft.  Other than passing by numerous lakes and ponds, I was generally walking through a long green tunnel.

On, August 28, 2006, it was another day of hiking through the long green tunnel broken up by passing through some open saddles between Big Bunchgrass and Maude Mountain and Ethel Mountain and Lone Wolf Mountains.  

I then crossed over the Oregon Desert which is an area of pumice and ash covered by a lodgepole pine forest.  Beyond that, I entered the southern boundary of Crater Lake National Park and stayed near where the PCT cuts off to the “hikers PCT on the Dutton Creek Trail which would take me to the rim of Crater Lake and Lodge the following day passing the Watchman Peak.  

I hiked 26 miles in 12 hours. 


On August 29, 2006, I hiked up this steep  2 1/2 mile Dutton Creek Trail at about 7,700 ft elevation which was the highest point of my travels in both Oregon and Washington with the Watchman Peak nearby.  

I arrived at the rim of Crater Lake with smoke obscured views of Crater Lake with the Wizard Island. I was looking forward to having the popular breakfast brunch at the Crater Lake Lodge.  I met up with two thru-hikers—Beekeeper and Mark (no trail name yet) and treated them to the buffet breakfast.  I am sure the Lodge lost money on our breakfasts where we went for seconds and thirds of scrambled eggs, omelets, bacon, ham, fruit, fruit juice, coffee, and pastries.  





They were staying at the campground a couple miles below the rim and I continued north past the Watchman Peak.

Here is a view of the forest fire that is obscuring a clear view of Crater Lake.



The forest fire smoke was getting pretty thick as I made my way north of Crater Lake and rejoined the official PCT just below Grouse Hill. I ended my day near the North Border of Crater Lake National Park where it met Highway 138. I hiked 18 miles in 12 hours including the brunch break and sightseeing along the Rim. 

Section D. North Boundary of Crater Lake National Park to Willamette Pass

On August 30, 2006, the highlight of this day was the hike through a magical forest with most trees covered by these tumorous bulges along with dying trees that looked otherworldly.  These trees have been attacked by bark beetles causing this forest to die.  I walked for several miles through trees like these.  


I then began my hike around the rugged Mt. Thielsen with an elevation of 9,182 ft. 


At the Thielsen Creek Trail, I met one other thru-hiker—Goodness— who was staying there.  I continued on and reached the official PCT highest elevation spot at an elevation of 7,560 ft.  


I continued on and had this view of Miller Lake to the south.


I ended the day at the Tolo Camp Springs after hiking for 14 hours and covering 26 miles.

On August 31, 2006, it was a 20-mile hiking day past Cowhorn Mountain and Summit Lake to where I found a campsite just below Mt. Yoran.  


On September 1, 2006, I hiked about 6 miles to the Shelter Cove Resort on Odell Lake for a shower—with the laundering of my clothes—and a full breakfast while wearing my rain pants and jacket as my clothes were drying.  



Section E Willamette Pass to McKenzie Pass-Highway 242

It was then on Willamette Pass where I enjoyed a big bacon cheese hamburger with a pint of Deschutes beer.  I finished up the day with a campsite by Charlton Lake.  Two other thru-hikers were also camped there: Osprey and Orca.  I hiked for a long 34 miles in 14 hours and arrived at 8:30 pm.

On September 2, 2006, I got off to a slow start at 8 AM and passed by the Charlton Butte just north of my campsite. I then began hiking through a burn area for the next half hour until I came to a string of lakes for most of the day along with the ever-present gnats and mosquitos. Again I had to wear my mosquito net to keep from getting stung or swallowing them while hiking.


I stopped by this small pond to get some water and found that in the grass and mud were hundreds of these tiny frogs. I made sure to filter them out of my water.




I took the short trail down to the Elk Lake Resort to resupply and stay the night.  The Resort store closed at 7pm and I did not arrive until 7:40 pm and would not open until 9am the following morning.  Fortunately, the shopkeeper opened up the store and also fed me some leftover spaghetti and meatballs.  After resupply and dinner, I headed back up to the trail that would rejoin the PCT and found a stealth camping spot for the night.  It was a 12-hour, 28-mile day.

On September 3, 2006, the scenery began to change with more volcanic landscapes through the Three Sisters Wilderness Area.  I guess the pumice and ash underneath keep the vegetation from growing much so there were long stretches where I had good views of the South, Middle, and North Sisters.





The PCT wraps around a number of tarns, and creeks, and passes by Obsidian Falls.




More of the trail consisted of hiking along with some cinder cones and other lava flows.  It was a beautiful sunset just before I arrived at the Minnie Scott Springs campsite with its cold freshwater.  I hiked 24 miles in 12 hours.





On September 4, 2006, I continued hiking through moonscape vistas of more lava flows as the trail twisted its way through the flows. I was looking forward to reaching McKenzie Pass on  Highway 242, just 5 more days until I completed the Oregon portion of the PCT at the Bridge of Gods, OR.

Again, the seven miles to McKenzie Pass passed through the big lava flows from the Yapoah Crater.  I recalled that astronauts used the lava flows found in Oregon for practice prior to going to the moon.  It was an out-of-this-world experience.


When I arrived at McKenzie, the PCT further north was closed because of forest fires so my PCT travels for 2006 were over.  What a disappointment.  I had plenty of food, my feet were feeling great, and my hammock shelter worked well in this forested portion of the PCT. 


From McKenzie Pass, I was able to hitch a ride from the third car that passed by, and he took me to the Eugene Amtrak station where I got an Amtrak to ride back to Seattle.
 

I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my travel adventures there.  That link is

 https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold.  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment