Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sampling Sights of Sibenik, Croatia—June 8–11,2021

It was a short 15-minute walk to the Autobus Station and as I got there, two cars collided.  Instead of just exchanging insurance cards and taking pictures.  About four guys began yelling and gesturing about who was at fault.  One guy who was the loudest had to be restrained by his buddy from punching the other guy out.  This loudmouth then came up to our coffee shop and continued to exhort us to side with his buddy.  This went on for about 1/2 hour before the police showed up while the cars were still locked together.  After pictures and measurements by the police, it looked like the loudest party was at fault.  What a way to wait for a bus ride


View of Sibenik from St. Michaels Fortress.


It was a pleasant ride back to Zadar as we dipped into each beachside village on the way to Zadar.  Although the bus companies assign you a seat, it doesn’t matter where you sit.  I always like to sit on the shady side of the bus and with this bus, I continue to have the row by myself because of low ridership.  Originally they had six bus runs per day, but with COVID 19, it is reduced to 3 times per day and I took the noon bus.



Once in Zadar around 2pm, I booked the next bus out to Sibenik for 4PM.  PreCovid, they ran these buses once per hour.  While waiting for the next bus, I had lunch and booked the Hostel Splendido in Sibenik since I was arriving late.   It was a pleasant ride down to Sibenik with stops along the way at various beach villages.


When we pulled into the Autobus Sibenik, it was just a 200-meter walk up the stairs to the Hostel Splendido.  The manager, Violet, was very helpful in showing me the attractions of Sibenik and then booked me into a 4-bunk room where I was the only occupant.  What a delight.



After dinner by the waterfront, I began walking back to the hostel when I heard some music coming from a nearby park.  There were so many people gathering together like there was never any COVID 19 pandemic.  The DJ played lots of different music as people got in line at the many vendors selling beverages and finger food.




The following day I visited the two fortresses above the city—Barone and St. Michaels.  The Saint John’s Fortress was closed for reconstruction.  Both had some great AV displays that highlight the history of Sibenik which was one of the few cities that repelled the Ottoman invasion.  With just 7,000 defenders, they vanquished the 28,000 Ottoman invaders in 1647.





At the St. Michael’s Fortress, in addition to this big stage, they had two AV shows that highlighted the history of Sibenik which included a slithering snake, some weird character among the flames, a fire-breathing dragon, and then St. Michaels swooping in to save humanity.  







The following day I took a local bus out to the Kra National Park which had a similar geologic feature with the limestone tufas that created gushing waterfalls and cascades with water oozing out of the limestone openings similar to what I saw at the Plitvice Lakes National Parks.  








The trip started with a boat ride that was included in the price of the admission fee to the beginning of the Skradinski Buk where we followed a boardwalk path around most of the waterworks.  Other than here in Croatia, I have never seen such water flows like this.




I got back early to the bus stop for the return trip so I had a great pork chop meal near the park entrance and bus stop.


The visit to the St. James Cathedral and the museum was also interesting because it highlighted the building of the cathedral that used no wood in its construction and the interior appearance matches the exterior and is a World Heritage site.  Along the exterior, there are about 70 heads carved into the walls.  I thought they were patrons, but they indicated that it was the stone masons’ choice on what to portray.




They have an AV feature that allows you to create a sculpture of yourself—check it out. 


I noticed that a big fleet of costly sailboats had tied up to the waterfront.  One of the Russian crew told me they had interrupted their regatta because one of the boats had torn mainsails.  It must not have been a hardcore race for them to stop for a repair of one of the boats.  


They provided a beautiful waterfront setting while having a bass dinner there.




I took the 8:30am bus that drove along the Dalmatian coastline and stopped at a number of villages along the way to Split. 


I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my Peru Adventures there as well as my other travel videos.  That link is https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold 

If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment