
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
In the morning of August 14th, we just had to walk across the street to the Prague Train Station to catch our first train, followed by a second train, and then a mini bus to our destination in Wroclaw, Poland.
We passed by several rolling fields of grains and corn and suddenly we were past the border before we realized it without stopping since Poland is part of the European Union. I snapped a quick backward picture of the Polish border as we drove along.
On the way, we stopped in Swidnica, Poland, that featured a large wood framed Lutheran Church that the duchy Habsburg had allowed to be built however, it could not have a belt tower or ring bells for service, and it had to be completed in a year.
We enjoyed the beautiful organ music that played while we toured the church.
We stayed at the B & B hotel Centrum in Wroclaw, Poland for two nights. The hotel was very nice with good air-conditioning and accommodations as well, including a nice hot shower and comfortable beds.
Krysthof gave us a quick orientation into some things we need to know about traveling in Poland. He showed us how important it was to wait for the light to change because apparently the police ticket people who jaywalk— that’s quite a surprise. They also ticket passengers who don’t buckle up if they see them in cars without being buckled up.
He pointed out several small shopping markets we could go to. He said the following day was a military appreciation holiday so it’s possible many stores and shops would be closed.
Since it was late afternoon, he stopped for a late lunch at a automated eating place where we learned to use electronic kiosks to order our food. I ordered a beetroot soup, which I thought would taste like Borsch, but it was kind of thin and watery along with two big meatballs with gravy, which was very tasty along with some raspberry lemonade. Others had some interesting choices, like cabbage rolls and pirogies.
We then strolled along the walking street as he pointed out the large Rynek Square that was populated by many little gnomes, which is a feature found here in Wroclaw along with the Hansel and Gretel buildings.
Hansel and Gretel buildings
There are several hundred of these little gnomes scattered throughout the area. They even have a map that shows you where they’re located and what they look like.
I plan to make an Instagram reel of them, and I’m trying to think of a song that would go with gnomes.
After showing us around, he indicated that the group was invited to join him for dinner at 7:30 PM. However, I indicated I was still full from the late lunch and would not be joining up with them.
I joined Doug and Michael as we walked to the oldest part of town called Ostrow Tumski that used to be an island until they filled in the canal. Doug checked out where he was going to meet up with a walking tour the following morning, and we went into the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist that was just across the street from the meeting point.
We stopped at a restaurant by the red bridge and had some drinks.
I returned to the hotel all the others met up with the dinner group in the Rynek Square.
A big breakfast spread was included with the hotel stay which included, for me, scrambled eggs, coffee, orange juice, and watermelon slices.
I strolled around the walking street area around the Rynek Square. It was military appreciation holiday, so I enjoyed listening to the military band, looking at some of the troops, and equipment on display.
I walked down to the Royal Palace to view the museum there, but it was closed with the holiday. But there were hundreds of fans for Manchester United football team who were competing with Milan at the nearby sports Stadium.
While walking around the Rynek Square and walking streets, I took many pictures of the gnomes. Many of them picked up the theme of the establishment. They were in front of such as a bookstore, a music store, a pretzel store, and so on.
About noon it was getting to be about 90,° so I stopped for a refreshing glass of lemonade before walking to the National Museum.
When I got to the ivy covered museum, I learned it was free because it was a holiday.
There are lots of 15th and 16th century paintings and sculptures throughout.
The top floor had an eclectic collection of items ranging from typewriters, irons, ceramic items, and even 2 Samurai warriors along with Japanese art objects surrounding them.
The large City Hall was to the east of the museum.
I met up with Michael and told him it was a free admission day because of the holiday. He then headed on in.
From there, I walked to the oldest part of town called Ostrow Tumski, and took an hour boat ride under the bridges and around the islands for 65 Polish Zloty— about US$17.
After the boat ride, I stopped at the restaurant just across from the red bridge and had a liter of ice-cold lemonade, beef cheeks, potatoes, and red cabbage for about US$28, including tip.
The temperature was about 92°, so I stayed in the shade as I walked back to the hotel, stopping only for some beverages at a local minimart.
Relaxation and a nice shower inside the air conditioned hotel was just what I needed to revive myself from the hot weather.
In the morning, we walked to the beautiful Wroclaw Train Station where we caught a standing-room only train to Kraków, Poland. It was a good thing we had comfortable reserved seats for the four hour journey.



























































No comments:
Post a Comment