Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Fez Adventures—January 18 to 20, 2019


After getting settled we went out in the rain to a nearby street-side bakery where we got some bread and then went next door and ordered meat skewers for our dinner.

The following morning, we stopped by the big brass doors of the MĂ©chouar Fez Jdid and then walked along with the Jewish shops and settlements. 



It was then on to the viewpoint of Fez and the Medina. 


After that, we stopped at a pottery shop to see how they construct the tables and fountains.  After creating a pattern, they build the mosaics upside down and then hold them together with fiberglass and resin.  The artists do not see the finished work, but only the dull brown of the backside of the tabletop or fountain. 



We also saw them throwing pots on a manual wheel, glazing, and applying metal decorative pieces to the pottery.


We then entered the Fez Medina which is the largest car-free zone in the world.  We had a local guide help us navigate through the confusing passageways. 


Camel Head stew anyone?






Former mosque and now a museum.



After several hours we stopped for our Moroccan lunch consisting of tangine—a conical-covered casserole dish filled with vegetables and choice of meats-lamb, beef, goat, or camel.

We then we to the leather area and the open area tannery.  They gave us sprigs of mint to sniff so it would lessen the smell of the tannery.  I guess summertimes are the worst time for these awful smells. 


Our last craft shop stop was the weaving area where many of us bought scarves made of agave fiber.  I think we all thought the extra scarves would help us stay warmer in this ever-so-cold weather.



I have recently uploaded all of my travel videos to YouTube now that they allow longer uploads and you may want to see my travel adventures there.  That link is

 https://www.youtube.com/c/huntforgold.  


If you do go there, please subscribe to my video channel since it will help me eventually get some income there and help with my future travels. Fewer people are using DVDs so I am transitioning to streaming my travels on my YouTube channel.

2 comments:

  1. Waving a big hello to you, my friend! Added Fez in my travel diary one day really going to visit this place till then Thank you for such a great Information :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. One of our favorite stops during my stay in Morocco.

    ReplyDelete